The Benefits of Using Animation in eLearning
There’s a reason children could sit in front of cartoons for hours—they’re engaging. Just because your trainees are all grown up doesn’t mean they have to stop enjoying the power of animation. In fact, when used correctly, animation can have some sizeable benefits for eLearning.
Now, obviously some industries lend themselves better to animation than others. However, you’d be surprised to see the ways animation can be used appropriately in most situations. You’ll also likely find that animation offers such significant benefits to learning, that it’s worth a shot.
7 Reasons to Use Animation in Your eLearning
- It’s engaging: By using a unique attention-grabber, you can help keep your participants engaged and interested in the material you’re presenting.
- It’s entertaining: Animated characters have a license to be a little silly, which can help to break up lengthy training sessions with a bit of comedic relief.
- It’s memorable: When participants watch a unique animation, it helps put visual context to the concepts they’re learning and makes them more likely to recall what they learned long after their training is complete.
- It’s eye-catching: If your participants have started to lose focus on their training, a catchy animation can help startle them back to task. Their attention will be renewed and they’ll be more likely to process the information being given.
- It sets the tone: You don’t want your employees to dread training. A fun and engaging animation helps set the tone for how they should approach their time in training—with enthusiasm and an open mind. If you use animation to demonstrate your attitude about the process, they will follow suit.
- It makes your eLearning more relatable: It might sound silly, but when your employees have a character or visual to identify with, they’re more likely to trust the information. Animation can almost give the material a sense of human-like interaction.
- It improves the attitude toward future training: When your employees know their training is engaging, they’ll be more willing and ready to learn new concepts in the future. Animation can help improve the overall training experience, which will also make for better experiences down the line.
And animation doesn’t have to be unprofessional—quite the contrary. The right animated “character” or visual can actually help bring even more authority to your information.
Still not sure how your company can use animation in your eLearning? Here are three ideas for how to animate your training.
- Create an expert character: An avatar or pedagogical character that serves as an expert “teacher” on the material can act as a touchstone for learning. By combining several qualities of an effective and approachable teacher, you can create an animated character that employees identify with and trust.
- Create a peer character: Similar to the expert character, an animated peer serves the purpose of adding a social connection to the eLearning experience. They can fulfill needs for positive feedback and companionship throughout the process.
- Create a visual example: If a concept needs visual explanation, an animated example can help ensure your employees literally see how it would work. With a handy animated visual as their recall, they’ll be more likely to process and remember what they learned.
Of course, the possibilities for using animation in your eLearning are only limited by your imagination. With a custom eLearning solution, you can use animation in a way that suits your company’s needs.
Interested in learning more about how we can help you find a customized solution? Request a free demo of Expand Share today.