How to Know You Need an eLearning Program for Patients
Just because the majority of our blogs focus on training your employees doesn’t mean there aren’t other groups that benefit from eLearning. Take a hospital, for example. In healthcare, employees aren’t the only audience that can take advantage of eLearning—patients are also prime potential learners.
A hospital or health system can only run as smoothly as its least informed participant. In many cases, a little upfront knowledge can make all the difference in day-to-day operations. Plus, entering into a hospital or dealing with a significant health problem is almost always confusing and stressful for a patient. By providing more opportunities for learning, you can help ease their concerns and make them feel as prepared as possible.
Let’s look at some of the finer points for why you might need an eLearning program for patients. Here are five reasons to educate your patients through eLearning.
- 1. It can improve your information exchange. In healthcare, time can quite literally be a life or death situation. While we can’t promise that eLearning will save lives, it can help improve your information exchanges with patients. By having a greater sense of background knowledge, patients can communicate their needs and questions more efficiently. This can lead to less frustration on both ends of the conversation and a better overall patient experience.
- 2. It can improve patient compliance. Whether you’re concerned about proper use of medical devices, self-care, medication doses or therapy exercises once a patient returns home, eLearning can help. When patients have access to additional information beyond the care they receive within the walls of your healthcare system, they will be more likely to comply with recommendations and avoid unnecessary follow-up treatments.
- 3. It can save employees time. Having to constantly repeat information or re-explain procedures will weigh on even the most tolerant healthcare employees’ patience. The option to direct patients to an eLearning program that addresses their questions and concerns can save employees valuable time and allow them to focus on more important aspects of their job.
- 4. It can decrease patient error. Along the same lines as improving patient compliance on medical issues, eLearning can also avoid unnecessary errors in the sometimes-complicated process of entering the hospital or dealing with a healthcare system. With fewer errors comes less frustration and improved experience.
- 5. It shows your patients you are investing in them. Providing an eLearning option demonstrates to patients that you “have their back,” so to speak. They’ll feel taken care of and valued. By giving them opportunities to be more informed, you’ll also gain their trust and confidence in your hospital or health system’s ability to care for them during and beyond their stay.
So, how do you know if you need an eLearning program for your patients? Well, for starters, if your hospital or health system needs improving in any or all of the five reasons listed above, it might be worth looking into. After all, who doesn’t want improved efficiency, happier patients and higher employee satisfaction?
Interested in learning more about eLearning for patients? If you're interested, check out ExpandShare's eLearning Services to see how your program can be an epic success.